Monday, May 12, 2008

Review: The Outsiders



About a year before seeing the movie, I read S.E. Hinton's book about misfit poor boys living in a small town in the Midwest. It was amazing and I remember it took me no more than 2 days to finish, it was so intoxicating. Now, I just saw the movie last weekend and I have to say- It was amazing. Besides the amazing and viciously hot cast (including Patrick Swayze, pre-Scientology and pre-Katie Tom Cruise, Matt Dillion, Emilio Estevez and a surprisingly gorgeous Rob Lowe), the film is amazingly close to the book and surprisingly deep for such young actors. Even Diane Lane gave love a bad name (sorry, had to throw that pun in) as the helpful but stuck up Cherry Valance and it nearly broke my mother's heart when Johnny K aka Ralph Machacio was in the hospital, covered with burns from a fire and tears from a ruined childhood. For those who haven't read the book, it's perfectly fine to see the movie first; you'll DEFINITELY want to read the book after. And those who have read the book, but are sticklers about seeing the movie, see it-- it's pretty freaking awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment